|Project by VA_Engineer||posted 08-20-2013 10:43 PM||5162 views||11 times favorited||6 comments|
Here is the crib for my second daughter, finished just in time. Due date is 9.20.2013. I was building our kitchen table when my wife was pregnant with our first daughter so I didn’t get to this project the first go around. The measurements are loosely based on ikea and pottery barn cribs but everything is really setup so that the mattress fits snugly.
Made of local walnut, except mattress support which is poplar. Finish is one coat of BLO and 3 coats of Arm-R-Seal Satin.
The short sides are attached with bed fasteners from rockler which were a lot more difficult to recess and line up than I had planned for. Next go around I’ll stick with the traditional crib hardware kits, but I really like that nothing is visible.
Mattress support frame is bolted with brass bolts into brass inserts (5 height settings, 2” apart), supported by short brass bars. Brass inserts are tricky, but Ron helped me through it. I broke 3 inserts with a screwdriver before I wised up and headed to youtube.
I cut a dado for the slats and glued blocks in between each one to fill the gap, extended working time glue was a must. All the slats were resawn from 4/4 stock on my rickety little rigid band saw.