|Project by Rex B||posted 08-20-2013 07:24 PM||1101 views||1 time favorited||1 comment|
A good friend at work wanted a pipe for occasional smoking (tobacco). He knew I had recently acquired a lathe, and asked me half-seriously if I could make a pipe. I figured it shouldn’t be too hard, so I invited him over to give it a try. I had some appropriately sized cherry cutoffs, and I knew cherry turns well. After the fact, research showed that cherry is actually one of the better woods for pipe making, but it was just a lucky accident.
We made the stem of the pipe as long as possible with my drill bits and drilling from both sides. I think we used a 1/8” bit. After drilling the thru hole, I chucked the blank up in the lathe and showed my friend the basics of turning. I roughed it out a bit, but he did the majority of the turning. It was a lot of fun to have someone else in the shop.
We turned the bowl using the lathe faceplate and a paper joint – a first for me. It worked well. Again my friend did most of the turning and I think his design turned out really nice.
I did have one mishap while drilling out the first bowl with a forstner bit on the drill press and ended up ruining that bowl. Luckily, the second try turned out much nicer and I’m glad we got a do-over. If I remember correctly the bowl has a 7/8” ID.
For a finish, I wasn’t sure what to use so we ended up just using some mineral oil to bring out the color. The third picture is before oil. It was a really fun project and I enjoyed having some company in the shop. This is the first real project I have done with my lathe. My friend had a great time and he says the pipe smokes nicely.