|Project by brg||posted 08-19-2013 08:25 AM||1961 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
I was requested to make a triangular window for the attic.
A bit odd shape/position for the opening part is due to a support beam of the roof.
I selected a few 2×8 pine boards that had the most straight grain and very little knots (virtually no knots in the result). As I had neved made a window before, then at first I made a smaller version of the window frame to see if the profiles would fit together and how the water would run away. It was rewarding as I saw that the bottom profile needed a bit deeper slope to be more effective.
After making some changes in the design, I cut all the frame profiles on the table saw. Cut them all to length. Connections were made mostly using bridle joints, in a few connections I used butt joints. The opening part was all connected with bridle joints. I used waterproof PU-glue.
Painted the window white using a special window alkyd paint, but that part didn’t turn out well. Each coat of the paint dried ~3 days before it was possible to sand and even after 3 days the paint was still a bit soft and sticky. I will never use that paint again :)