|Project by jack1||posted 08-19-2013 04:31 AM||1833 views||0 times favorited||11 comments|
We have a large population of gophers and I was starting to have flashbacks of Caddy Shack and Chevy Chase…
Yeah, even did the propane thing. Nice explosions but that’s it. ;0) Time for plan E since ABC and D didn’t work.
I got on line and happened on the University of California Davis’ site. They had a plan and dimensions and cut list.
(You can always tell when a non-woodworker measures an existing piece and makes a set of plans…). Anyways, the design looked good and needed only a little tweaking to work. Now it’s time to get it into a tree after a coat of paint.
I used a 4’x8’ sheet of exterior siding, some cleats, screws and Tite-Bond III. I used a jig saw to cut the opening as well as the clean-out access/door. There is a partition separating the entrance from the nesting area to keep the eggs/owlets safe. There are a couple of 1/2” holes in the back corners for drainage. The back eave has a 1/2” space across the back for ventilation. That’s a piece of red wood at the opening for a landing/perch for the owls.
Wish me luck! ;0)
-- jack -- ...measure once, curse twice!