|Project by RichCMD||posted 08-17-2013 02:59 PM||1072 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
This started as my first attempt to carve a bowl. Right from the start, it became more of a learning experience than a project that would end with a nice bowl.
I used wedges to split the log, and it did not split down the middle as I hoped. This piece came off as roughly a C shape. I decided to go ahead and see if I could do anything with it, but the shape of the split log dictated the shape of the “bowl”. I also bought a fore, which gives better control when splitting (Big Lesson Number 1).
I started roughing out the shape, but quickly realized that I needed a bowl horse for to hold it while I used an adze (Big Lesson Number 2).
I put this very green piece of wood it in a black plastic bag while I built the bowl horse, which took longer than I expected. When I took it out, it was covered with mold. I had to cut a lot off the piece, which further dictated the final shape (Big Lesson Number 3.)
Things went pretty straight forward form there, with the exception of the knots. I encountered several knots that had small gaps it the wood, surprisingly on what had been the inner side of the log. I found I could remove more wood and eventually “get past” the gaps. However, I eventually got to the point that I had to quit for fear of breaking through. I think the knot problem resulted from my decision to leave the sap wood (Big Lesson Number 4), but it seemed like a good idea the time because I didn’t have much thickness to begin with.
In the end, the worst offending knot with a gap sits right in the middle of the bottom. I could not find any way food safe way to fill it, so I just left it. I can’t say I am all that thrilled with the final project, but I learned much by the doing. I hope to have better success on my next try. My wife says see will use this one as a bread serving whatever.
-- Men admire the man who can organize their wishes and thoughts in stone and wood and steel and brass. Ralph Waldo Emerson