|Project by shipwright||posted 08-16-2013 01:15 AM||2241 views||6 times favorited||29 comments|
I’m back experimenting with “watercolor dying” marquetry. These little hummer boxes were made to determine the feasibility of assembling and finishing hand dyed marquetry without sanding at all. When dyes are applied this way they don’t get to soak in much so sanding is difficult without losing the color.
The marquetry pieces were cut Boulle style on the chevalet from a packet of six layers, all maple. After cutting the individual pieces were dyed with an artist’s brush and reassembled. At this point a coat of wipe on poly was applied to seal in the dye and they were applied to a maple substrate.
All six box components (sides, tops and bottoms) are identical square pieces with miters on all sides. The tops were reduced in thickness to allow for the marquetry. After assembly with masking tape and hot hide glue the tops were sawn off and a mitered lip placed inside for a snug “snap down” fit. A final sanding made sure everything lined up perfectly. The finish is satin wipe on poly. For very simple mitered boxes they are actually quite attractive.
I was keeping track of time to see if they could ever be made profitably. They took about two hours each first time and could be done in not much more than half that if they were cut and assembled twelve up instead of six.
Hand dying marquetry fascinates me and with what these taught me I have started a much bigger, more complex piece. You’ll have to wait for that one.
Thanks for looking in. ............... I hope I made you smile.
-- Paul M ..............If God wanted us to have fiberglass boats he would have given us fibreglass trees. http://thecanadianschooloffrenchmarquetry.com/