|Project by jasondain||posted 08-13-2013 01:26 PM||1001 views||0 times favorited||2 comments|
A few years back, I made double platform beds for my kids. They are made of plywood cases with boxes underneath for storage and had an MDF headboard that we cut out and painted. My sons was in the shape of a goalie net and had a goalie painted on and my daughters was cut out in the shape of a unicorn and painted. My wife did the painting as I am nowhere near that good at painting.
Skip ahead a few years and the kids rooms needed a refresh as they are now 8 and 9. We used some different, more mature colors in there rooms and there old headboards looked out of place so off they came and a new project got added to the list.
I decided to go with a frame and panel style and used 5/4 poplar for the job. I made the 1/2” by 1/2 inch grooves with my dado set and then plunged in mortises for the rails to make them stronger. I used haunched tenons on the rails to attach to the mortises. I could have pocket screwed the entire thing together but it was more of a challenge and stronger to do it this way. I also decided to cut off part of the groove sides to make it so the panels could be replaced in the future if we wanted. They were painted using chalkboard paint so the kids could use the panels as a place to do art if they wanted. I used tabletop fasteners like you would attach a table to keep them panels in and tight and that worked really well.
For the moulding, I used a 1/2 inch cove bit on a piece and then a 3/8 roundover on another piece and glued them together to build up the top part. This technique worked pretty well considering that my original plan was make the top rail wider to attach the top to and use some off the shelf moulding to dress it up.
The kids are pretty excited to see it and hopefully they like it.
Thanks for reading