|Project by rustfever||posted 08-12-2013 02:45 AM||1347 views||2 times favorited||8 comments|
Recently, a winery customer asked if I could do ‘Wonders’ with the companies original grape press. I said I could, before I had really looked close. Once I began the disassembling process I realized the degree of deterioration. The challenge grew bigger, and the accomplishment became more significant.
I found the required 3” KD White Oak at a SF Bay area specialty lumber supplier, [at a ‘not-so-insignificant-cost’]. Sand blasting and powder coating fees ratcheted up the cost. I spent a terrific amount getting the hydraulic system free of seizure because of years of exposure to the weather. Oak, finish, misc new fasterners all went into the cost ledger.
The wood working was fun and I never kept track of the hours spent, although I would guess I have over 140 hours total in all of the work. I loved every minute, including the presentation to the second generation of the original owners.
The final product was well received by the ‘Family’ of the winery founders. It is now on display in one of their wineries.
-- Rustfever, Central California