|Project by SawdustTX||posted 08-11-2013 11:10 PM||2180 views||0 times favorited||9 comments|
We broke the lid on our tank, and after unsuccessfully searching for a replacement, decided to try making one.
Started with a few feet of well dried treated pine 2×6 I had sitting around.
Edge glued with biscuits and waterproof glue to get the width I needed, then jointed and planed the blank to the needed thickness.
I shaped it on the bandsaw using a lid from another matching toilet as my model. Used a 3/4 roundover bit along the top edges, then lots of sanding to get to final shape.
Routed the groove on the bottom to fit over the tank rim, and the rear air “vent”. It’s rough because I did it freehand. I know, should have made a template, but it works and it doesn’t show.
Finished with many many coats of sealer, white, and clear coats of Spar Urethane. I lost count, but I think it has over 10 coats total, each dried thoroughly and sanded in between. It took over two weeks for the finishes.
Turned out to be a fun little project, that I enjoy every day. :) Every time I check, the inside of the lid is coated with moisture. Not sure how long it will last, but for now the finish is holding up.