|Project by rweitz||posted 08-09-2013 05:36 AM||1501 views||2 times favorited||2 comments|
I made a set of eight picture frames for a friend of mine. He had some family treasures a relative had brought over from Okinawa. They were framed in some hand made beautiful frames, but they wanted to redecorate and needed a new color scheme. Long and skinny about 5” x 18” he would have needed a custom build anyway.
Along the way it gave me a reason to learn / build / try several new things so I jumped at the chance. I built the 45 deg. jig for making the cuts on the frames, it worked out great, but learned with this style jig it’s best to keep the shaping on the outside of the frame so when you cut the 45 you’d get less chip out the back. I got around it by a lot of tape and raising the blade as high as possible.
Also made a sled that slides onto my Incra (no pics) so I could cut the 4’ x 1×1 sticks I’d ripped to size for the 45 cuts. Then I made the small frame clamps based on some designs found here at LJ – thanks to one and all. I don’t know if I can ever use them again since they are so small, but they did the job great, good clamp ups all four corners at once and square. I used a elastic band to set the initial corners then clamped it down tight with a racheting band clamp. Don’t over tighten and bust the corners if you do this!
Also got to use my Craftsman moulding attachment for the first time. After this vid, it worked nicer than I had hoped and I’ll use it again for some more frames if I can over the router. It was much smoother, faster and cleaner cutting once I got the proper holddowns in place.
Ebony stain, two coats, Arm-R-Seal again and then some hardware on the back to hold the pics and hangers.
-- You cannot build a reputation on what you are going to do. - Henry Ford