|Project by jfk4032||posted 08-07-2013 09:03 PM||1782 views||6 times favorited||11 comments|
My daughter had asked me to make a wedding gift for her boss and I said sure. I wanted to make something that would be personalized and have meaning to the couple so I made a personalized bottle stopper with a celtic ring pattern. I was told from someone at my woodturning club that celtic rings have significance with wedding rings and vows so I was ready to get it started with that worked into the design.
I needed to compress the names and dates into a small area so the top of the stopper wouldn’t get too goofy big, so I made the black walnut medallion 1.5” diameter. I created the pattern in Illustrator and printed it out. I turned a medallion disk exactly 1.5” on the lathe and then glued the pattern to it and cut it out on the scroll saw.
While that was going on I glued up the slats of the celtic rings by cutting a series of 18 degree slices on my bandsaw on each of the 4 sides of the blank and matched the slats to the thickness of the kerf; 3/64”. I used Bradford Pear for the light colored wood and black walnut for the dark.
After turning a simple pleasing shape for stopper I fit and glued the scrollsaw cut medallion perfectly into the stopper top sanded and finished it with walnut oil and friction polish. I packaged it up, printed out the Fedex label and was ready to send this up to my daughter. I texted her a couple of pictures of it and called her for her approval before I was going to Fedex. She loved it and couldn’t wait to present it to her boss Julie…I said you’re joking, right, I thought her e-mails said Julia was her name. Unfortunately I was wrong…see last picture for wrong top.
Talk about a senior moment, I nearly hit the floor when she said she wasn’t joking. What makes this more embarrassing is that I sell and have sold printing for decades and deal with client mistakes all of the time and always stress the importance of proofreading before releasing files to me!
My wife also pointed out to me that the bride’s name is always listed first in wedding related items, so while fixing the spelling of the bride’s name I switched the positioning to be more etiquette-correct.
Fortunately, I was able to carefully gouge out the incorrect medallion and I recut a new one and fit/glue that in very tight once again. I learned my lesson on this one and will always double check any personalized content I incorporate into my future pieces.
Hope you like the finished (corrected) piece and my story of DOH!! proofread first, then measure twice and then cut!!
-- ---Joel; Central MD...rookie empter nester and getting back into woodworking!