|Project by RaggedKerf||posted 08-06-2013 01:50 PM||3386 views||8 times favorited||12 comments|
I have spent the last few months making the biggest, most complicated project I’ve ever tackled: a castle shaped bookcase for my daughter. It’s 42” high and 38” wide (excluding the turrets) and incorporates pocket-hole joinery and used used just about every tool in my shop lol.
First pic is the castle itself, installed in my daughter’s room. Second pic is my daughter (2) sorting her “lie-berry” and my son (4) inspecting dad’s joinery (lol). Third pic is a detail of one of the turrets, showing the doorway I cut into the Sonotube, the crenelations on top and the paint scheme I added to give it some pop. Fourth pic is a close up of the drawbridge (that pale square near the edge is some masking tape covering the magnet clasp to make it easier for my daughter to open. When she gets stronger, I will remove it. There’s lots more pics of the project on my blog .
I primed and painted it followed by about 3 layers of clear shellac, then buffed with a brown paper bag to a nice smooth yet not overly glossy finish.
In all it took about 41 hours to complete. If you’d like to the extensive blog where I recorded the day to day progress with lots of pictures, click here to see it from the beginning.
I think I’m most pleased with the drawbridge and how well the turrets came out. I was going to attempt to make them like a barrel with staves…then the idea of using hardboard and bending it around a form hit me…then I settled on a last minute idea to use a Sonotube! Sure glad I did that. They look great and it was pretty easy stuff to work with! Will definitely use Sonotubes again.
Anyway, my daughter loves it, my wife is very proud of me and my son is begging for a rocket one (which I started yesterday after an enthusiastic approval from the CFO lol).
-- Steve http://vaughtwoodworks.wordpress.com