|Project by Blackie_||posted 08-05-2013 01:11 PM||1483 views||4 times favorited||14 comments|
Pictured Here are a couple beer mugs I made from the limbs of a mesquite tree, fully functional and ready to drink from, I used a two part epoxy for the lining on the inside on both mugs, it might be hard to tell but the mug on the left, I did a full epoxy finish inside and out but found the epoxy to be problematic on the outside the epoxy is a 30 min dry time but due to cost of the epoxy I don’t think it’s cost effective but you only have to do a a one time application, a faster finish along with a mirror finish and a great seal, the mug on the right I finished the outside with several coats of wipe on poly, they measure 5 1/5 high with a 4” OD and a 3 1/4” ID
Build I harvested several logs from some semi dead mesquite trees that were just dry enough to be worked these two mugs are just a small portion of what I gathered from a nearby town called Dale, Texas. I started off with a 6” limb cut via chain saw, then using my miter slot log jig to plane both ends flat, I then set a circle using my compass to cut away all of the outer sap along with the bark around the 6” limb on the bandsaw, using my miter log jig once more I cut a 3/8” slice from the bottom of the mug, then using the compass again marked the inner circle with a 1/4” lip using the bandsaw again I entered the mug from the side along the grain and cut the inner plug out, sanded with spindle sander to a finish glued the bottom on and sanded the outside to a finish with spindle sander, the plug that was cut away I then used a different jig that rides the fence of the bandsaw to attach the plug to in order to make two cuts equaling a 1” wide slice from the center of the plug, this slice I use to make the handle with and attach it to the mug, instead of rounding the mating parts of the handle to mate to the mug I instead made a flat area on the mug side wall using my belt sander and epoxied the handle to the mug. The two remaining parts of the plug that were cut away went to my BBQ mesquite pile, no wood wasted. :)
This process was used on both mugs.
A tip of the hat goes to Monte and Tony for their guidance and video making, two minor changes I made, one was using a tree limb apposed to glue ups and making a flat area on the side of the mug to mate the handle to.
Thanks for viewing and comments are always enjoyed.
-- Randy - If I'm not on LJ's then I'm making Saw Dust. Please feel free to visit my store location at http://www.facebook.com/randy.blackstock.custom.wood.designs