|Project by JayG46||posted 08-03-2013 08:40 AM||2443 views||5 times favorited||11 comments|
My girlfriend is graduating from her masters program in accounting this weekend and moving on to her CPA exam. She asked if I could build her a table to study at since she has been doing most of her school work on the couch. As she was describing what she wanted, I immediately thought of these two beautiful bookmatched pieces of beeswing purpleheart that were about the right size and just dying to be cut up.
The only issue with the purpleheart is that it was only about 1/2” thick, rigid enough to hold weight but not visually hefty enough to be exposed. I took some 8/4 maple, made a mitered frame and ran a piece of 4/4 curly maple down the middle. It all fits together with dados very nicely but made for a tricky glue-up.
I had another piece of the same purpleheart that had not been resawn but was badly checked and cracked down the middle. It turned out to be just enough for the skirt material which is not very visible in the pictures or in person.
All four legs came out of the same 3×3x48 piece of purpleheart. I ran a long bandsaw cut from corner to corner and split those pieces on the table saw, leaving four very long wedges. I then cut off the bottom 15 inches (too narrow) and three from the top. The next step was to set the table saw at 2” and create a top section for the leg that was square to delay the taper and accept the skirt. There is all sorts of chamfering on the legs as well. It was my first time trying this technique and I was pleasantly surprised with the results.
The best part of this project is that I went from making my first cut to applying the first coat of finish in one day. The finish is Watco Danish Oil with a few coats of wax coming for the top, so my next move is to turn a couple of coasters! Thanks for checking it out.
-- Jay Gargiulo, Naples, FL www.swallowtailwoodcraft.com "Once you understand the way broadly, you can see it in all things."- Miyamoto Musashi