|Project by bigogre||posted 08-01-2013 02:25 PM||1796 views||11 times favorited||25 comments|
This box was condemned to the fire pit from the very start. The sides are rosewood that I cut from a log and dried in my garage. After a year, the moisture content was down to 7%, so I Prepped the board, book-matching it and mitering the corners for the box. The next day the boards cupped the full length so badly that they would not go together.
After a week of staring at it, I decided to force the issue with several clamps and got it to stay. However, during the clamping process the rosewood, as you might expect, began to argue in the form of crackage. Several hours later, and replacing brute force for finesse, I was able to hide and blend these cracks so that they really are unnoticeable.
I decided I wanted to try my hand at carving the sides of the box, But as I did this, I forgot about the groove on the inside that holds the rail for the shelf. Shaped right into that sucker. Put the box on the shelf for a few months, waiting to see if a solution arose to fix this problem.
Time to clean shop, box in hand, ready to throw it into the burnables pile. (Hot dogs taste so much better cooked over incorrigible projects). When it hit me… bore out the rectangular hole and fill it with powdered coffee and glue. Tried it and it worked! Sanded it up and watched it resuscitate into a beauty, and one of my favorites.
Box is 11×6 x 6 ish, and has a figured maple top, and birdseye maple tray
-- Putting the "mental" in experimental since 1973