|Project by NaptownWood||posted 268 days ago||2186 views||15 times favorited||12 comments|
I got this idea from a home blog that I stumbled onto last week. I needed a bigger desk when I moved to the dual monitor setup, and I didn’t want to spend a fortune on a nice big cherry or mahogany desk.
So, off to the construction remodel resale warehouse. Found this old big unfinished solid wood door, its 96” x 30”. its huge and heavy already, but it was about to get heavier…I was lucky, the door only had 4 shallow mortises for the hinges on one side, and they hadn’t drilled for the door handle yet. I think it was poplar, but I wasn’t sure. The door had one large panel in the middle with a small bead trim around that, it was about 3/4” deep. The panel was likely about 3/8” thick….............. $40
Then, off to the home store for some cheap pine 2×6 boards and one premium Douglas Fir 2×4 for the trestle. I also picked up 8 large lag bolts and the nuts and washers, the stain and a quart of gloss polyurethane, three bags of concrete, and one pint of terra cotta concrete colorant…............70$
I cut up the pine boards with the miter saw, and put the angles on them as well, I made a jig with one of the boards for the bolt holes, and clamped them one by one in the drill press. I marked out where the mortises went in the legs for the trestle, and used a forstner bit for the bulk, and then cleaned up with chisels. Yes, I cut mortises into construction grade 2×6’s. I didn’t cut pins to hold the trestle taught, four 3” decks screws in from the back did the trick.
For the top, you screw about 50 1” screws up from the bottom of the panel to serve as the rebar in the concrete mold. Then, you mix up the concrete very thin and add the colorant, tape off the wood with painters tape, and pour. This table took 80 pounds of concrete, two whole bags. You mix it very thin so that you can then take a hammer and bang the hell out of the sides of the table to jiggle the concrete flat and remove any bubbles. It dries fairly smooth. I didn’t have to sand or grind it at all.
The stain is a rustoleum “kona” dark stain. never tried it, but it works great. The pine didn’t take it perfectly, no surprise there, but the door took it awesome, it looks like a weathered old antique oak door. Then three coats of poly, with steel wool in between. I went right over the concrete as well for sealant. I stained it and poly’d it assembled. I’m not sure you could do it another way due to the logistics of the concrete top and not trying to crack it.
Up close the concrete looks surprisingly like one of those old leather top desks. I’m stunned at how well this thing turned out for about $100 bucks. Some one could use it as a dining room table if they wanted to it’s so huge and looks pretty darn good.
-- Witty signature line still pending