LumberJocks

Companion Arts and Crafts Nightstand

  • Advertise with us
Project by KirkSawdustmaker posted 07-28-2013 10:33 PM 1019 views 0 times favorited 5 comments Add to Favorites Watch

This is a companion piece to the nightstand I added a few months ago. It is Arts and Crafts style with a McIntosh cabinet door. The piece is cherry with a Makore top. The stiles are walnut. I discovered the walnut provides a better contrast as the stiles, than on the previous piece where the stiles were cherry with walnut squares. The wings on the sides were also cherry fitted into a slot in each leg.
In the third picture you can see the walnut square I used to give strength to the door joints. All of the work is mortise and tenon, except for the door.
I finished it using three coats of Minwax Poly, sanding each coat with 600 grit sandpaper. It’s based on a picture I saw of an Arts and Crafts style table.

-- Have saw, Will travel





5 comments so far

View david38's profile

david38

2498 posts in 1803 days


#1 posted 07-28-2013 11:15 PM

nice job

View MadeinMT's profile

MadeinMT

184 posts in 1620 days


#2 posted 07-28-2013 11:50 PM

Wow. What a beautiful, unique piece. Nice work.

-- Ron, Montana

View planeBill's profile

planeBill

506 posts in 1869 days


#3 posted 07-28-2013 11:59 PM

Very unique indeed. I like your choices of woods. Did you use a sliding type dovetail to attach the corbels or just a slot, like a dado?
I likes it, good work.

-- I was born at a very young age, as I grew up, I got older.

View aussiedave's profile

aussiedave

3114 posts in 1284 days


#4 posted 07-29-2013 12:40 AM

Very nice night stand it looks great..the door is very unique and an interesting idea…excellent

-- Dave.......If at first you don’t succeed redefine success....

View KirkSawdustmaker's profile

KirkSawdustmaker

30 posts in 1826 days


#5 posted 07-29-2013 09:33 PM

Bill, I just did a dado slot and fitted the buttress into it. Actually the whole process was to cut out the buttresses (I call them that since they remind me of flying buttresses on medieval churches), which were originally two 3/4” stock pieces , which I cut in half after it was sanded to shape. Then I cut the dado, since I now had the finished length of the buttress. Then I ran the four buttresses through the drum sander until they were the right thickness to fit, which was about 5/16”.

I’m having a lot of fun with the door. Getting the blocks to fit is a bit of a pain, since it’s cut one to about the right size, then sand to fit, then round off the edges, then glue it in. The stiles are mortise and tenon. I oversize the mortises about 1/8” to give me a little play. That way I can adjust each one so it’s parallel to the next one as necessary. A one inch slat seems to be about the right size for the look I’m going for.
Kirk

-- Have saw, Will travel

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com