|Project by ghost5||posted 399 days ago||1383 views||4 times favorited||3 comments|
I have been processing logs that were sitting in my yard and it didn’t take long to load up my other kiln which isn’t that big. I then stacked my shop full, rearranged the shop, filled it up again, turned all I could, still too much, so I started stacking it outside on an 8’x4’ pallet I had that was built from 2×6 lumber and covering it with plastic. This was heating nicely but the plastic was still in contact with the wood so the moisture wasn’t leaving like it should.
Yesterday with the help of my 2 nephews we started building another kiln around the already stacked wood on the pallet. i had left room just for this. The back is 48” high, front about 36” with a 65” wide removable panel in the front for access. The top when finished will be removable, too.
I ran out of plywood but decided to post it as is so you can see how easy they are to build. All of the wood so far is scrap from other projects and the plastic is leftover from the other kiln. After the pics were taken we covered the wood in plastic again and weighted the edges until I can finish up the sides.
This kiln is loaded with walnut, Bradford pear, sweet gum, poplar and box elder. Drying time drops from around 1 inch per year to 5 weeks or so. Not bad for scrap and free power.
-- Tommy, http://www.followingghost.com