|Project by SebringDon||posted 07-27-2013 06:23 PM||1642 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
Designed in Sketchup, red oak frame, red oak ply panels, 72” x 18” x 16” to fit the location. Kreg and glue-and-screw joinery, so nothing fancy. Kona stain for that dark finish the wife likes, around 9 coats of poly because I hadn’t learned how to seal red oak properly yet. There’s more grain showing in the face frame than the pictures would indicate.
With a small shop and finishing before assembly, it had to be done in 8 stages; I did the ends, front and rear assemblies, and top/bottoms separately, first inside then inside. Do the math and you’ll see finishing took almost forever, but it sure turned out pretty. I’ve learned some techniques that will speed that up considerably on my next project.
Piano hinges and friction lid supports manage the split top. Those were put on today to finally finish the project. Cushions on order. Wax in a month should really bring out the shine.
The wife’s tickled. That’s all I really ask. :)