|Project by Lenny||posted 07-25-2013 12:41 PM||2052 views||12 times favorited||32 comments|
Here are two jewelry boxes made for Jill and Lynn, two hand specialists that worked with me in rehabbing my injured fingers. The design for the boxes came from the October 2005 issue of Wood magazine, #165. There are a number of these posted on LJ already, indicating it was a popular project. I happened to see one posted by majeagle1 some time ago and made it a favorite. He made his from zebrawood and wenge and I liked the look of it.
Knowing that these would be nice jewelry boxes, I planned to make four of them with an eye towards selling the second two. I opted to make two from zebrawood and walnut and the other two from tiger maple and walnut. I have plenty of walnut and no wenge and saw it as a reasonable substitute. It’s interesting to me that several of those who posted this box referred to it as a straightforward and easy build. I did not find that to be the case. There are a lot of details and small pieces to make and assemble and overall, a good amount of work is involved. Perhaps the fact that I made four at one time factors into my perspective. Some LJs made this without the curve at the front of the lid and I feel it is a critical feature to the overall look of the box. I guess it complements the curved legs as well as the curves on the side of the lid. The upper compartment and the drawers are lined with felt. The drawer pulls are glued into a rabbet at the top of the drawer front. For a finish, I went with the recommendation of Wood magazine, boiled linseed oil and Deft semi-gloss spray lacquer. Not happy with feel of the surface at the end of the process, I lightly sanded with #0000 steel wool and added a coat of Watco Satin Finish Wax. The approximate dimensions of the boxes are 13-1/2” X 9” and 7” tall.
I learned a lot making these boxes. First, zebrawood is one expensive species! At my lumberyard the price is about $17.50/board foot. When they sent an e-mail to me showing it on sale for $10.50/board foot, I jumped at the opportunity and bought two boards. I also had some difficulty in planing some of it. Large sections of pieces broke off as they went through the planer. I never had that experience with any other species. It is a pretty attractive species in the raw but once you apply a finish to it, wow does it come to life. I was actually giddy the first time I saw the transformation.
Here is a photo of one box without finish and the other with the boiled linseed oil applied:
As for the Deft spray lacquer, it is a very convenient finish in that you can add coats after only 30 minutes. It is self-leveling and the can indicates no sanding necessary between coats. Here’s the down side, the fumes are very strong! Like much of the country, we were in a heat wave at the time I was applying the finish. Even with windows and doors open, the fumes persisted. Maybe if it were cooler out and perhaps with a breeze coming through the shop it might have been more bearable.
I had problems getting the felt to fit properly. I bought the felt as adhesive-backed sheets. After measuring and cutting the felt to size, I found that as you remove the backing, the felt stretches. Therefore it is no longer the size you cut.
All of that said, I am delighted with the outcome and more importantly, Jill and Lynn love them. I presented them to the ladies this morning:
Lastly, I want to comment again on how happy I am to be back in the shop making sawdust. Since returning about two months ago, I have completed about eight projects, four jewelry boxes, two tea boxes and two bow boxes. Here is a photo of the boxes in various stages of completion:
Thanks to my surgeon and caretakers like Jill and Lynn I am back enjoying my favorite pastime.
-- On the eighth day God was back in His woodworking shop! Lenny, East Providence, RI