|Project by BertFlores58||posted 07-25-2013 03:47 AM||2930 views||1 time favorited||14 comments|
Doubts. First and foremost, I like to clarify that I was doubtful whether this is rightful to post as project. The action was not intentionally to violate rules about restoring, refurbishing and many restoring project posted. My intention is to share and encourage others to do restoration with such a beautiful and worthwhile project as an accomplishment. (when you search “restoration” in the LJ, you will find 2,560 projects posted. I am now the 2,561st. I enjoyed while searching because I was really impressed about the broom that was restored. Yes it was posted as blog but not as project)
So, just feel free to make any suggestions, comments and criticisms. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion which if proven will become a fact.
To understand the violin, here is the simple drawing of the exploded view of the violin.
This is the violin that my brother (currently onboard a cargo vessel as Captain) used when we both study violin. The back of the backplate had a marking specifying that this was made 1965. 2 years from now it will be 50 years old. 4 years ago, I found this in the provincial home but everything were still in pieces but all the glue were out. The glue before that I used to restore it was not as strong as I have now. What I have repaired recently was the tail piece and the end pin. There was also a crack in the scroll. The finish used is urethane. The sound is perfect and due to its smaller and thinner size, the sound can be compared to a soprano.
This violin was given to me after the death of my step Mom this year. The good thing was the violin was stored and it was sprayed with water on some part. This is my father’s violin which I believe more than my age.. half century old. Due to the age and time spent, the glue was out on several section when I have it. There was a crack on the front plane and also on the ribs. Upon my assessment after cleaning all the parts, there is a very slim chance of restoring it. But I have to go on. The only chance I can do is to make a new bout and use the plates and other parts for reconstruction. I have posted how it was restored in this blog series. Just follow it and you will learn how I manage to restore it. A lot of learning ideas you can use in there in relation to the amateur way of making a violin.
There are several things about these violins restored:
1. The bending of bouts. The most essential work in violin making is how you will bend the bout. In my case, I have no heater instead I use a sterilizer to heat it. I learned how to make the necessary clamps and jigs to make the bouts. Without the heating and the jig, it is impossible to make it.
2. The assembly. Though it may come in different style, assembly will depend on the glue used and the ability to follow the correct alignment of the finger board to the end pin or tailpiece. I made a mistake in this area. The neck and scroll is integral to the upper block which is difficult to align. There is no corner blocks fitted instead, the ribs are inserted in a groove just like a dado joint. If this is the way it was made why should a change it. It has lasted for years like that so I have to do it the same way the original bout was constructed. Anyway that is how to restore the original.
3. Hit the target. The reward of a good restoration is the functionality and returning it to the same or better than the original. I knew the sound quality of this violin that is perfect and much on the bass clarity than that of the high notes. I applied (brush) glue (PVA) on the plates inside portion to add more strength but I was worried with the sound thinking that the plate will be very stiff to vibrate. However, the opposite happened. The violin now give a very loud bass and a high pitch sound on the high note. It is now under string tensions and found good. I hope this will not change as time pass by. Some of my instruments before, the wood are not really seasoned and therefore after several weeks under tension and use, the sound changes.
SO, I hope everyone will benefit from this project by just realizing how a restoration is so important for a well preserved family heritage. Thanks for viewing.
Have a nice day to everyone!