|Project by rustythebailiff||posted 07-25-2013 01:00 AM||4047 views||14 times favorited||14 comments|
This is the first lamp I built from a book I bought with quite a few examples. I have taken to Japanese style and design of late, mainly for it’s lightness and simplicity.
I used poplar for the inner framework, and cypress for the legs and top. Did I say simplicity? The inner frame was a bit of a puzzle, with lap joints going every which way. I gang cut the bulk of them with a router before ripping the pieces to size, then cut the balance with saw and chisel.
After a light coat of latex urethane, I glued the shoji paper onto the frames. Prior to cutting one piece to size, I ran it through my inkjet printer taped to a piece of standard card stock. The kanji came out perfect, leaving me to learn Japanese calligraphy another day.
The cypress legs and top were shaped and grooved, with some corrections to the dados made by hand. I dyed the cypress to avoid blotching, then put three coats of laquer on them with a light rub down after curing.
Instead of a power cord and 110v bulb, which I thought would be too hot and might start a fire, I opted for battery operated “candles” (in the bottom left corner of one of the photos) I found online. The light is yellow like a flame, and flickers, giving the effect of candle lit lamp of olden days.
One down, a bunch to go!
-- "Necessity is the mother of invention"