|Project by sgmdwk||posted 07-24-2013 05:57 AM||1266 views||3 times favorited||8 comments|
Last week I completed a high chair for our first grand child (expected in September). I gave it to my daughter-in-law Sunday. The chair is made from maple. Construction was pretty straight forward, though I found this hard wood a challenge for my old, under-powered tools. I don’t have a band saw, and cutting the curves for the arms and the tray with my old jig saw was a slow process requiring plenty of clean-up sanding. I did copy something I saw on LJ to joint boards by clamping them on my bench, then using my Stanley No. 6 on its side. The glue lines on the tray and the seat were invisible, when I finished. To prevent blotching, I used a seal coat of shellac thinned with alcohol. I then applied a colonial maple stain and six coats of wipe-on poly.
I told my son and daughter-in-law that the chair is a collection of mistakes and corrections to balance them out (typical for my work). But they were happy and the other at Sunday’s baby shower were impressed. I basked in their praise.
-- Dave K.