|Project by Rob McCune||posted 03-25-2007 04:00 AM||6007 views||24 times favorited||23 comments|
I went to Home depot to get my wife some more paint for the living room and decided to pick up a few 2X4’s and some melamite..melinite…melonine…crap, that particle board sandwiched between formica!!! You know what I mean. Anyway I picked up a couple 24” x 48” pieces because I was thinking of using a sheet to make some desks in the office and I wanted my wife to see what it was before I did it. I had been in need of an infeed/outfeed table for the Ryobi planer I got a couple weeks ago. Basically it is nothing more than a sled with two movable pieces of the mele-whatever with brackets and some all thread for adjustment. It worked out pretty well. I adjusted it for a few mintes and considerably reduced the snipe on the wood I put through, but it still needs some fine tuning.
The adjustment comes from turning the lower nuts on the brackets. I have pieces of 3/4” plywood securing the sides and made some slotted holes so they could move. I ran carriage bolts from inside through the plywood so when it is adjusted right I can lock it down. I didn’t put any crossmembers under the tables, and I should have. They have to much give. I will have to add them tonight. The planer is bolted down with 5/16” bolts, in fact everything was 5/16ths for better strength.
-- Rob McCune