|Project by robscastle||posted 07-23-2013 09:08 AM||656 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
A simple and quick project required by Aurora.
She had a plant in a metal pot and wanted something more impressive so asked for a frame for it.
I had a piece of rosewood left over long enough to do the task so I jointed it sawed it in half and ran it through the thicknesser
I then used my taper jig to cut the 10 deg taper on the side of each piece, a simple process to set up and then just flip the material over and do the over side, see picture 6.
I could have cut the 45 deg edge at the same time but as it was thin material I just set the table on my bench sander and produced the 45 deg edge that way.
I then cut the corresponding 10 deg on the top and bottom edges
The Glue Up:
Now trying to glue up something that shape made me think a bit. I clamped the larger top with the block shown at picture 3.
I then attempted to hold to other end with my shock cord clamps but they just slid off, so I then had a brainwave and tried something every wood worker has in their tool box…. Electrical Tape!
It worked well, in fact it worked very well I might add!
So I checked the diagonals for squareness and added a third tape in the middle see picture 5.
It was then simply a matter of letting the glue dry.
Electrical tape amazing!
Upon the glue setting I applied a slight radius to the top edges and then sanded it all over with 180 G and then finished up with 320G.
After taking a good look at it finished I again saw the open grain effect again that is typical of Rosewood.
I first saw this effect when I made the in and out trays.
A coat of Danish Oil and the result are in Picture 1 and 2.
A simple project I would consider one that is suitable for a student under instruction.
Again enjoyed the unique aroma Rosewood exhibits.
And the wife was happy…....priceless results for a little work!
-- Regards Robert