|Project by AngieO||posted 07-16-2013 at 07:00 PM||2229 views||4 times favorited||37 comments|
YEAH!!! I built this back in May. I’ve had it laying around in my garage waiting to be finished. Found a problem with not finishing it when I built it. I had not planned on staining it… so I didn’t try to get rid of the glue very hard. Most of that evidence is hidden though :)
When I built it I had a rough cut list from a blog I like. But it wasn’t the size I wanted. So I went to Bed Bath & Beyond and picked out the spice jars I wanted to use. I found these for $1 and got 10% off my entire purchase because they didn’t have enough on hand. They shipped them to my house for free too.
I also added a lip on the edge of the shelves to keep them from falling off. They had a dowel rod and I dont have a drill press (Yet….lol) so I didn’t want to mess with those. I know there are other ways… but I didn’t want to go buy dowels either.
I made the bottom shelf taller for some of the taller spices that I use that I didn’t think I’d put in the spice jars. Mostly the Pampered Chef ones. And I have a few grinders too that will fit on that shelf.
I made the top shelf a little smaller as well and did not put an edge on it. I thought that would make it a little easier.
I finished it just with some MinWax stain that I used. It was the first time that I used the pre conditioner that I have. Which of course after I used it I read where it said to use a water based stain. Luckily I had some MinWax water based stain. I used the Colonial Pine (I think that’s what it was called). Then to finish it off I used a wipe-on poly. First time to use it. I like it better than just straight poly. Much easier to apply. I liked the finished look better. Of course I had to put more than one coat on… but it was worth it. Much happier with the way it turned out.
All in all… I’m happy with it. Now I just have to find my label maker so that I can label the jars and get them put in their new home. Oh… and hang it on the wall. I did get a new bit with this build. I think it’s called a keyhole… maybe. I like it. The wood…. of course… free pallet wood. Got it from a sign company so not really worried about it contaminating stuff. It was pretty new wood and the pallet was a specially built pallet for the custom sign they ordered. My only cost was the spice jars and the new bit… which I’ll use lots for some frames I have planned.
Thanks for checking out my project. I hope to post some more things that just need to be finished soon.