|Project by mIps||posted 07-16-2013 03:04 AM||1113 views||1 time favorited||5 comments|
So today’s project was to replace some crappy wall cabinets with a lumber rack.
First I took all the stuff off the top of the cabinets, took the cabinets off the wall and made space. They weren’t the best cabinets, I really wasn’t using them anymore and I needed a lumber rack more than I needed those.
I took the wall outlets loose, moved them down a good 8 inches and then re-wired them so I’d have power available again.
I cut the two french cleats 5” wide and then beveled the edges. In hindsight, It would have been faster and easier to just cut the bevel at 5” and then straight cut the other edge. Two cuts instead of 4. Oh well. I attached them to the walls with lag screws into EVERY stud.
I then cut a roughly 7’ piece of plywood into four 3” strips, then cut those in half to make a total of 8 uprights.
Next I used the straightener to cut 1 good edge on 3 pieces of 3/4” ply, cut the opposite edge parallel at 9”, cut one end at 90 degrees and then cut to length at 15”. Finally I measured 3” from one dge at one end and 3” from the opposite edge at the opposite end, lined those marks up one the edge of the angle cutter and cut ‘em. these would be the horizontals for the rack.
I made the angled slots in the uprights using successive passes on the table saw.
I screwed one in 1” past the top of the upright, the second 18” down from that and the 3rd 18” from that. I made two uprights this way. The third I only had 2 horizontals so no 3rd row.
This holds everything I had on top of the cabinets and more and still has room for more and the only thing I had to buy was the lag screws.
Today was a good day.
-- Be honest, honorable, kind, work hard, and generally be awesome.