|Project by CL810||posted 07-10-2013 04:59 PM||14476 views||47 times favorited||39 comments|
I had been wanting to build a portable tool chest for a long time but could not settle on a design until I saw Chris Schwarz’s Dutch tool chest. I was mulling it over, ok, I was procrastinating, when Brandon began a great blog that starts here . His blog was just the KITA I needed to get serious. I strongly recommend this blog to anyone remotely thinking about building a chest. The comments/discussions that accompany the blog are also very informative. Another great resource is Ryan’s Dream Toolbox thread that is currently active.
I settled on the height of the chest that would fit in my truck bed with the cover down. I based the carcass construction on the design of a blanket chest I had recently built. The dovetail joinery should last a long time. Yes, it was a lot of work cutting the DTs, but using them gives me confidence in the integrity of the chest.
From the beginning I wanted to create an aged look to the chest similar to one I had seen in Jim Tolpin’s book, The Toolbox Book. I certainly understand both sides of the stained vs. painted finish. I settled on the aged and distressed look so it was to be painted and have bare metal. I applied 4 colors of paint in this order: white, yellow/orange, red, and last brown. For the distressed look I sanded the paint in areas that would get “wear.”
I purchased the hinges from Lee Valley but they did not sell screws or handles that matched. I remembered that Chris Schwarz had written about stripping zinc from metal with citric acid. You can read about it here . The only comment I have about the process is that one should buy whatever you’re going to strip at the same time from the same manufacturer. Results vary by mfg, not only in how long it takes to strip the zinc, but in the appearance of the metal after stripping. Here’s a before and after pic.
I used poplar for the chest; cherry for the racks, tracks, box and till ends, and the till runners. I screwed the racks and tracks in so I could change things in the future. The saw till has a dovetail base. It is attached with two screws. The base was trimmed so that it fell just short of touching the bottom of the chest. When I tightened the screws in the base, it made for a very tight and stable fit for the till.
The inside of the chest, boxes and till are finished with shellac.
The first time I traveled with the chest I could hear the till slide back and forth. So I made these stops to secure the till. The left side’s stop is sitting on the runner for clarification.
The next step in my plan is to build a chest of drawers as a base for this chest.
Thanks for looking.
-- "The only limits to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." - FDR