|Project by TDSpade||posted 07-09-2013 03:35 AM||285701 views||40 times favorited||18 comments|
Made from red oak plywood, first time I’ve used iron on veneer edging. I like it, easy to use.
Except the top and bottom pieces each piece has two ¼ inch deep x ¾ wide rabbits. All glued and screwed together with pocket hole joinery.
Stained with general finishes water based amber dye, blo, amber shellac, and paste wax. I had trouble with the shellac due to temperatures close to100 degrees. The alcohol based shellac was drying out too fast. I had to strip some parts back down to the dye and start over a couple of times. So I bought a cheap hvlp spray gun from Harbor freight and gave that a try. Man what a difference! I am now a hvlp convert. And no I will not give up my shellac.
Didn’t want to drill holes into the shelf, so I used a kind of 45 degree angle cleat system. I glued and nailed the cleats on the back of the shelf wall pieces first. Then used blue painters tape at the bottom of the wall cleats to hold them in place on the shelf. I then used double stick cloth tape on the wall cleats. The idea was to stick one side at a time against the wall and push up rolling the painters tape off the shelf. It sort of worked one cleat at a time. I then screwed each cleat in place.
-- For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert.