|Project by parkerdude||posted 07-06-2013 04:17 AM||1595 views||4 times favorited||4 comments|
While surfing the “Net” I found a DIY tool on a fine steel blade manufacturer’s website.
The product was a really nice, but funds are limited and I like to make my own tools when I can.
So I sat down and started to “reverse engineer” this tool. It’s 4 3/4”-L X 1 1/2”-W X 2 1/2”-T
It looked pretty simple, straight forward even.
It was, after the first two attempts, it was almost EASY.
Some days my ADHD just sits on my shoulder, watching my every move, waiting to slip in and reverse a part or put something in backwards.
Anyway, after the third build and glue-up, I was quite smug with how well it had gone together. That’s when I saw the cross-pin still sitting on the bench.
I pulled one of the sides off and inserted the cross-pin, re-spreading glue and repositioning everything.
I forced myself to leave everything clamped for about 24 hours, preventing the failure encountered in the first build, the glue failed after 4 or 5 hours, when I started playing with setting the wedge.
Well this one works, and it just took about 8 hours, (if you count the two other attempts) !
The infill is Ash, the sides are White Oak, the wedge is Maple and bottom is Bubinga.
I like it, and it works well.
It is getting easier.
-- dust control