|Project by RaggedKerf||posted 07-02-2013 12:50 PM||1147 views||1 time favorited||12 comments|
So here’s the gauge I made for the 2013 marking gauge swap. I laminated blocks of maple and walnut with thin resawn (by hand lol) strips of walnut on the top and bottom. The arm is a maple. The wedge is walnut. I used a threaded insert and thumbscrew along with an embedded piece of brass inside the fence to lock the arm down.
It was a lot of fun to build but pales in comparison to the work the rest of the participants created!!! If you want to see all the gory details and a lot more pictures, see my blog here.
I had a hard time letting it go but man, what I got in return more than makes up for it. There’s some pictures of the gauge I received from terryR on the blog as well, which is just gorgeous!!!
One thing I learned with this project: don’t carve letters in walnut. Use a stamp.
-- Steve http://vaughtwoodworks.wordpress.com