|Project by CameronD||posted 07-02-2013 03:15 AM||924 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
I had the other weekend free and wanted to practice using the router table. Being pretty new at wood working, I have found the router table to be quite difficult to set up and get right. At first I thought about just making a cube. 6 sides, lots of miters, etc. But I figured that would be fairly useless, but a pencil box could be useful and give some experience.
This 1/4 inch red oak. The miters were cut with a 45degree chamfer bit and the bottom is 1/4 inch red oak with a rabbet cut to fit the bottom. I added couple coats of poly stain and then a piece of cork inside the bottom.
I took it to work and one of our assistants told me it would be a good gift for all the assistants, which I took as a hint (I can occasionally pick up on them, but not often) and have since worked up 6 more in poplar, but I have run into several issues with them. The rabbets didn’t cut nearly as cleanly, so there are some gaps at the base. I cut the angles using the table saw set to 45 degrees, which actually worked but was a bit narrower than I’d like (though I was able to cut all sides for all at once then chop to size).
The biggest problem is that I applied a sealing coat of shellac cut with 1:1 with denatured alcohol (as suggested by the Woodcraft service rep) to the inside panels. Within a few hours every one of them cupped. I applied to the outside, thinking that would help, but no. Instead, setting them on damp and wrung out kitchen towels on a table in the sun for 30 minutes helped significantly, though several still show some cupping.
Once completed, I’ll post a few photos of batch three.
I think this is my 3rd or 4th craft project (as opposed to a drill press stand or other such bigger, less refined project.
All I can say is “I’m learning” but as I look back on a few other projects (two I’ve posted) I am happy to see progress.
Thanks to all the posters here and on Youtube who share their knowledge. I’m drinking in all I can.