|Project by Jay Nolet||posted 07-01-2013 10:04 PM||1227 views||0 times favorited||7 comments|
Hi all. about three weeks ago I posted a question about what kind of finish would be good for machine oil and coolant soaked wood. Well, Shellac would of worked, but I couldn’t get a smooth finish. Sanded that off and put on some General Finishes Arm-R-Seal Oil + Urethane Topcoat. That worked great. Three coats and a wax job. I think that this wood was never meant to be seen again after the box was first built. No thought was put into matching up the pieces. The yellow sticker came off in one piece so I stuck it to some card stock. The bottom was falling out and the sides of the top came right off. I cleaned and glued everything back together. I used the original hardware after ketchup and 0000 steel wool. I tried to save as many dings on the wood as I could. They tell the story like the scars on me from old “war” wounds. This morning, I gave the box back along with the sticker to the co-worker who gave it to me. He was surprised.
-- I think, therefore I think I am.