|Project by Hammerthumb||posted 07-01-2013 05:04 PM||1733 views||17 times favorited||16 comments|
Here is the marking gauge I made for Jeff. Below is the letter I included in the package. I wanted to try to make something a little different than the rest of the participants. Little did I know, everone made something a little different for this swap. What a great bunch of tools has come out of this event! I hope the letter explains the gauge well enough. Enjoy!
Here is the marking gauge that I made for you. I hope you enjoy it. The gauge is made of Ipe (very dense wood) with a couple of maple racing stripes on the beam. It has an Ipe turned knob to tighten the beam. It also has an 01 steel cutter. I struggled with the design as I wanted to make a gauge that was slightly unusual but very effective. My first design was with a mortise for the beam but found that the material I chose is not very conducive to mortises. I spent more time sharpening chisels than actually chopping. The Ipe would fold over the edge of the chisel after a couple of blows. I figured that the material was just too hard, so instead of changing the material I changed the design. I actually like this design better.
If you remove the adjustment knob and beam, you will see a brass bar embedded into the gauge body. It is ½” x 1/2” x 3-1/4” long. If you look carefully when assembled, the beam does not sit on the gauge body, but rests upon the brass bar. The brass bar rides inside the channel cut into the beam. This should eliminate any wear to the gauge body when used. The other advantage this has is the fit of the brass inside the channel virtually eliminates any side to side movement of the beam. I used the gauge on a few test pieces and found that when adjusting and tightening, the knob will not change the position of where you set the gauge. The movement of the beam is slick and easy to adjust. I also embedded a piece of brass on the face as a wear plate although I think the toughness of the Ipe will not show wear for many years. But it looks cool also! I really like this design and have started another to keep in my shop.
The business end of the beam features a relief in the end that fits a 3/8” x 1/16” blade. The blade is held in place with an 8-32 brass screw that treads into a piece of 3/8” round brass stock that was drilled, tapped, and glued into the end of the beam. The gauge has been finished since mid May but I was not satisfied with the blade. I finally found some 01 steel and shaped the new blade and heat treated it. It works much better than the first blade I made and am glad I did not ship it prior to making this change.
Finally, I finished the gauge with a bath of Danish oil and then 2 coats of wax. This is the way I like to finish hand tools as the finish is easy to repair and maintain.
I hope you don’t mind that I stamped the bottom of the gauge with HT for HammerThumb. At least you will always be able to remember where it came from.
Good luck and happy wood working.
-- Paul, Las Vegas