|Project by Tyler Moseley||posted 07-01-2013 03:09 PM||1800 views||2 times favorited||3 comments|
Well, this was a bit of an experiment, I broke the countertop trying to put in a new dishwasher so I decided to use the reuse the under/over mounted sink and rebuild. I wanted to under-mount the sink, but refuse to spend any real money on this rental. (Renters have a sort of sixth sense for finding the most expensive stuff to destroy) so I settled on jointing 2×10’s using my new HF biscuit jointer (which, with a little grip tape and adjustment, is also a great low cost alternative). For the corner joints I had to use wood glue and pocket joints from underneath to clamp. I used ripped and rabetted 2×4’s with lag bolts to attach the sink, which also removed the last little bit of flex in the corner joints. I assembled this in place at the house , then took back to the shop for hand planing, sanding and finish. I didn’t have time to wait for waterlox to come in the mail, so I just used 3 coats of cab-acrylic, which I have had great luck with for kitchen utensil handles also. The green pic is the before photo. (oh, yeah and I cut the bottom of the cabinets and raised them a bit closer to spec. This is just made of BC ply and paint so that was easy.) I plan on redoing these cabinets someday, but this should give them a few more years life at least for now.
-- Measure Twice, cut two, three times, plane, join, sand, coat, sand, coat, sand, coat, buff, wax, polish, brag. It's a process.