|Project by EricTy||posted 174 days ago||599 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
So we decided not to gut the bathroom. Instead we pulled the ceiling tiles down and put up sheetrock over the ferring strips and added crown moulding. That was step one. Those tiles were starting to disintegrate.
Next up was building the new vanity. They guys over at Reynolds Custom Woodworking in New England were happy to share their designs and construction videos online so I designed this in Sketchup and had at it.
The face frame is made from 2×4s from Home Depot. They were so fully of tiny knots it was awful. I knew it was going to get painted so I did not use the old Cherry that I have (that will be for something nice that goes with us when we move).
The reverse raised panel door is made from Eastern White Pine I had left over from some doors I made for the dining room closet.
The carcass is made from some leftover 3/4” Birch plywood from HD. Didn’t like that stuff at all. It had pockets, lumpties, non-uniform thickness and a general bow that made it difficult to work with.
Hinges are Blum. I wanted to use the slow-close hinges but I screwed up the order from (Rockler?). Lessons learned. These work well though. Didn’t realize I needed a stop block as they are designed to over-close. More lessons learned…
Tara, the other half, does the finishing. The inside was rubbed with Linseed oil and then shellacked. The outside was primed and painted.
The sink, as you can tell, was refinished to match the new hopper (as well as the tub). Not a fan or refinishing. There were boogers and a couple small chips already (as well as some over-spray you can feel on the hopper). If you are looking to sell, refinishing is fine but if it’s yours for years to come, I would reconsider new.
All in all, it came out OK. This was my warm-up to cabinets. This coming winter I’ll be building the cabinets for the Kitchen redo in the spring. Sketchup is my best friend right now.
Until next time, thanks for stopping.