Dust collection for Bosch gsm12SD & bandsaw

  • Advertise with us
Project by mummykicks posted 06-22-2013 09:14 PM 3891 views 5 times favorited 7 comments Add to Favorites Watch

So I wanted to improve the dust collection of this beast, and I still have a few other projects to get to before I can take time to build a miter saw station proper. After quite a few different iterations it became clear that implementing something that would handle ALL of the cuts and sizes this saw can handle was impractical, if not impossible. So I settled for something a bit less sophisticated. The setup as shown will handle anything up to ~1” thick, and the vast majority of stuff in my immediate future is 3/4”. The sides are removable, so if I need to cut something thicker in the future I’ll make short versions that will have the right clearance. Now that I’ve got the basic design down it won’t take long.
The dowels on the top I was going to use to secure some vinyl sheets to help seal that area better, but it really isn’t necessary, and I’ll cut them off at some point.
The 2-1/2” fitting on the side fits my rigid vac hose (which is connected to a dust deputy), and was a multi-adapter from HD that I just cut off and used a rasp to open up the ID as much as I dared.
It is made from two halves, the left has two 3/8” dowels that line up with where the stock dust collector snout mounts, and the right side has holes to pick up the dowels. Two drywall screws pull the parts together, and clamp it to the frame of the saw arm.
Keys to making it work well:
45 degree on the back. Initially I just had it flat, and it was basically a ‘dead zone’ for air flow. For thicker work I’ll have to make another one.
3/4” piece behind the fence:
If it isn’t there, when the rear of this thing clears your workpiece it creates a gap and lets a lot of dust out the back end.
Seal off all the gaps you can – as you can see with my awesome tape job.
If I’m just trimming a small amount of a piece I get another piece to put on the outfeed side so there isn’t a big gap as can be seen in the second photo.
It’s crude, but effective. The dust you see is from four 12” wide cuts on some 3/4” mdf. Some tape on the bottom of that 45 piece would probably eliminate most of that.
It takes about 30 seconds to remove and put the stock collector back on.
Edited to add my high-tech bandsaw dust collection, don’t laugh, it actually works well.

7 comments so far

View degoose's profile


7245 posts in 3555 days

#1 posted 06-22-2013 09:39 PM

That seems to work well.

-- Don't drink and use power tools @

View Wolfdrool's profile


57 posts in 3597 days

#2 posted 06-22-2013 10:00 PM

Clever idea. Capturing dust from my miter saw is the biggest bane in my shop. Thanks for sharing.

View robscastle's profile


5473 posts in 2404 days

#3 posted 06-22-2013 10:23 PM

I have the same annoying problem with my small shaper/moulder.
I put a fan inside it in an attempt to positively pressurise the cabinet and to get chips and dust into the dust chute and stop them from entering.
It was a fail.
Yesterday when I was making my lock miter box again I had to vac out the inside of the cabinet yet again.
An additional task I could do without doing every time I use the machine.

I have pushed EPE Expanded polyethylene into the webs of the base to block all the holes and try to direct the suction out the dust chute, but all to no avail.
However I see you have used some metalised A/C duct tape, which I also have and had not considered it up to now. I will have another attempt and see how it goes.

Thanks for posting your mods and I will see if I can get a better result from your technique


Robert Brennan

-- Regards Rob

View steliart's profile


2849 posts in 2888 days

#4 posted 06-23-2013 12:09 AM

thats a cool idea

-- Stelios L.A. Stavrinides: - I am not so rich to buy cheap tools, but... necessity is the mother of inventions !!!

View a1Jim's profile


117328 posts in 3777 days

#5 posted 06-23-2013 12:39 AM

Very cool idea,good job.

-- wood crafting & woodworking classes

View aussiedave's profile


3114 posts in 2024 days

#6 posted 06-23-2013 01:55 AM

Well done….great idea.

-- Dave.......If at first you don’t succeed redefine success....

View mummykicks's profile


109 posts in 2003 days

#7 posted 06-23-2013 07:41 PM

The thing I found when trying to make this work was that the chips are coming off the blade/cutter so fast that unless you can get high velocity air near it you won’t have anything that works very well. Everything else just goes everywhere. In my case even small gaps behind the blade allowed dust to fly up and out, so I used the aluminum tape to try and seal everything. Even having it enclosed but without that 45 angle on the back didn’t work all that well. BTW that aluminum tape is great stuff for all kinds of things, sticks good and because it doesn’t stretch it has less tendency to come loose over time…
I was basically trying to duplicate the dust collection on my tracksaw, which is very good.
Same idea with my bandsaw, just a nozzle as close to where the chips are coming out as possible. It’s crude, and I’ll try to make something more permanent, but it works way better than trying to pull it out the bottom wheel housing. I still get some sawdust on the table, but much much less than before.
Obviously the close you can get to the cutter with the enclosure, the better it will work. Good luck.

Have your say...

You must be signed in to post the comments.

DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics