|Project by gpeau||posted 06-22-2013 02:00 PM||2606 views||36 times favorited||17 comments|
This was another project at school (woodschool.org) where the goal was to make 7-8 mutiples. I ended up making 19 since I had enough wood from a board of cherry and one of walnut. The bottoms are ply to speed up the process then lipped where the handle was cut out. My previous project “Test Boxes” I had determined the size and spacing of the kerf cuts for these trays.
The fourth and sixth pictures I was playing with all of the bands since they made for interesting photos. This was right before steam bending. The fifth photo shows my drying rack where I placed the bands after they were steamed and bent by hand holding them at 90 degrees.
I’d make a few changes to speed up the process, but after the Test Boxes were figured out it took me a little over two weeks to make 20, with one failure from steaming, which includes the time for jig making. This was my first project spray finishing, a bit of a learning curve but definitely speeds up the process when you have multiple items and not a lot of time! I’ve sold 12, most at CraftBoston and the school’s Messler Gallery to strangers, the rest are reserved for family and friends. Thanks for looking.