|Project by tsdahc||posted 437 days ago||678 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
We decided to put our house on the market and the realtor gave us a list of things that we should do to get the home ready, one of which was update the master bathroom. It was ugly, I always had plans for it but they never really materialized until I was forced to. I went looking for vanities at all the box stores and just wasnt impressed for the money. One of the problems I had is my water supply pipes come from the floor not the wall so all the drawer vanities were out which left the horrible builder grade vanities that still were hundreds of dollars. So I went looking through my stock of wood. I ended up not having to buy a single piece of wood for this project which was great, I even had enough left over hinges from my kitchen remodel. The only things purchased for this build were pulls, paint and top coat. The box is constructed of maple ply with solid maple face frame. The doors are maple rail and stiles and maple ply. Took me about a weekend and a day to build, the box is constructed with glue and pocket holes, the doors are frame and panel construction. I actually built this off of my kitchen sink cabinet since it was the same width dimension as the vanity. That made the planning much easier. The box was built with no back so the plumbing could go through the wall. The finish is general finished milk paint in black and then general finishes gel top coat. This was the first time using the paint and the finish isnt stellar but it looks darn good. I also built a frame to go around the builder grade mirror, it was made using left over primed finger board then finished the same way and slightly distressed, then glued to the mirror. All in all this really spruced up our master bedroom (and cost about $50), my relator loved it and when I told her it was custom built (haha) she was super impressed, actually listed it as custom built vanity on the MLS. It was great practice as I plan to build all my new vanities for my new house.