|Project by Sandra||posted 06-20-2013 05:20 PM||4309 views||31 times favorited||62 comments|
At long last, my workbench is done. If you’ve read any of my posts, you will know that I owe a lot of thanks to many lumberjocks who answered my questions along the way and gave me a few good doses of encouragement.
Design – This is designed by Ed Pirnik at Fine WoodWorking. I chose this bench in part because of the smaller size, but also because I was able to purchase the paper plans and watch the video segments on the Fine WW website.
This was invaluable to me. I learn best by watching and I watched each segment numerous times.
The videos are well done and move along at a reasonable pace.
I also chose this project to challenge myself and learn new skills. Huge understatement. I still can’t believe I actually did it.
Size – The finished dimensions of my benchtop are 58” x 23” x 2.5. I altered the plans slightly so that the finished height was 34.5” which works well for my height.
Materials. The base of the bench is made of yellow birch and held together by 16 pinned mortise and tenon joints.
There are two large boxes that house the drawers, each is made of 3/4 ply, held together with splines.
The drawers themselves are box jointed plywood and the drawer fronts are walnut.
The bench top is hard maple.
Finish – The drawers and base have a coat of wipe-on poly. The bench is still bare. I may leave it that way for now, while I’m still working on my hand planing.
All the lumber was purchased rough.
splines, box joints, mortises, recessed drawer pulls, large glue up, dressing large amounts of stock, etc etc…
Biggest challenge was the benchtop. Physically, it was a challenge dealing with all that hard maple, which I bought for $1.50 bf (!!!) The glue up was difficult and flattening the top was brutal. I think I’ve traced the problem back to jointing. I must be doing something wrong on the jointer, because that would explain why my router sled didn’t give me good results (jointed the rails) and why the glue up was a challenge.
At the end of the day, the top is flat, albeit with several small areas of tear out and a few router marks. I decided to keep it that way, because while I’m pleased with how the bench looks, it’s a workbench and I intend it to get many dings, dents and marks along the way.
Plane stop – photo 5 shows the plane stop partly pulled out. It’s stored in a routered slot under the bench. DUH! photo 6 shows the plane stop in the vise. I just realized however that the benchdog is on the wrong side. When I actually use it, I’ll have to slide the stop to the other side.
-- No, I don't want to buy the pink hammer.