|Project by Jim55||posted 06-20-2013 03:08 PM||545 views||1 time favorited||3 comments|
“Mom”, my dear Wife, has always wanted one of these folding screens like women used to have in their dressing rooms. But, whenever we could find one they just cost way too much money to justify the expense. So we, the boys & I, set out to build her one.
I am sure you all can see the flaws, and they are there, but, for a basically inexperienced wood worker (me) and my really inexperienced boys, this was quite an ambitious project. Since we built it, ‘Mom’ is thrilled with it. ;)
The frame is basic pine, the panel 1/4” plywood, the fabric an upholstery remnant from a fabric store.
I think I should have painted the hinges to blend them in. They were something the previous owner left in the barn but suits, once we cleaned them up. Assembly was glue, pegs, and a few screws. finish is poly urethane rubbed out with some oil.
It took a good while from waiting for the many coats of finish to dry in what has been a very humid spring. There were so many coats from goofing them up. I got a LOT of work to do on finishing. I can finish a gunstock right well but, not much else it seems. Still, for the magnitude the project proved to be (for me/us at least) I am pleased with it.