|Project by gpeau||posted 06-19-2013 06:36 PM||1495 views||10 times favorited||5 comments|
I was working on a serving tray project that had kerf cut and steam bent corners. Each of these test bands, plus a dozen or so more failures, were to help determine the number and depth of kerf cuts, shoulder and band thickness and spacing of the kerfs to get a tight steam bent corner that was pleasing to the eye and tight on the inside. I made two of each and decided to finish the project by making small open boxes out of the test bands. If you look at the last detailed shot you’ll see the different kerf cut variations.
I steam bent each of the bands after kerfing them and glued the mating parts of the band.
I built dividers with lap joints and added cherry and walnut dowels to secure the bottoms. Unfortunately I didn’t take any pictures of the finished walnut box before selling it. Finished with Deft Oil.