|Project by mIps||posted 06-18-2013 05:33 PM||2498 views||0 times favorited||3 comments|
Roughly 2 to 3 years ago I replaced my basic benchtop saw (I think it was a Ryobi and cost $100 new) with a Ridgid R4512 contractor saw. I love it! The only thing I wish it had was a larger table but I know you only get that on the hybrid and cabinet saws.
Anyhow, when I rebuilt my workbench last year, I made a garage space with the idea that I would one day build a rolling cart to put the table saw on so I could actually park it UNDER the workbench. I was able to build that this week.
I was very happy that I was able to get a hold of some nicer plywood. I am not sure if it is Baltic birch or what but it was definitely better than the crappy stuff I’d gotten previously.
The space I had was 40” wide and 20” deep. The saw was 36” wide and 24” deep. Pretty close guess. So, I took one half sheet (2’x8’) and cut 2 40” log pieces out of it for the top and bottom of the cart. As it happens, my garage has a concrete “lip” about 6” tall and 6” wide at the base. The 2×4 walls don’t entirely cover it. So, I cut the bottom down from 24” to 20”.
I then took another piece of the same plywood and cut it into 3 1/2 inch strips. Then I cut out my pieces. 4
3 1/2"x24", 4 20”x24” and 8@ 3 1/2×6”. with the 3” locking casters I bought ($8 each, yikes!), the height of the saw and the thickness of the top and bottom plates, I figured I should be within 1/2” of the 32” height of the “garage”.
Since I am still a amateur, I decided to pocket-hole the thing together. And, since I didn’t have and couldn’t get a pocket-hole jig. I figured out a way to make my own. Holes, that is. What I did was to take my largest forstner bit and drill a hole about 3/8” deep in the face of the shorter pieces, then used a 1/8 drill bit to make pilot holes through to the end of the board, making sure to keep the bit at a shallow angle. This worked great and I thing I only blew out 1 hole. I used 1 1/4” coarse-threaded wood screws to screw the 2 pieces together.
I made a total of 4 risers this way with the 20” piece on the bottom and the 24” on the top. I then glued and screwed the risers to the bottom plate and attached the casters.
Then the top plate was glued and screwed on an the table saw was moved from the metal “table saw utility vehicle” to the new rolling cart.
At some point I want to put drawers in the cart for extra storage but, that’s a project for another day.Things I like:
- I got it designed, planned, cut out and built in a afternoon. LOVE!
- I figured out a way to make my own pocket holes. For this project, terrific!
- I guessed that I would have about 1/2” clearance between the table top and the bottom of the workbench opening. It’s actually about 1/4”. YAY!
- If I am clever enough, I think I can make a dust port on the cart and eliminate the one on the back of the saw.
- Potential for drawers!
Things I am not happy about: the home-made pocket holes are inconsistent. Need to figure out a way to improve that that DOESN’T require more machinery or money spent. Hmmm. Now I have to figure out what to do with the leftover metal tubing form the T_SUV that came with the saw. Hmmm.
Even though this was a fairly simple project that went together pretty easily, I am really happy with it. Now I can park my saw in it’s home, which saves me space in my garage.
I hope this made sense to you and, if you have questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.
-- Be honest, honorable, kind, work hard, and generally be awesome.