|Project by Eddie||posted 06-17-2013 03:35 PM||1010 views||1 time favorited||9 comments|
I wanted to share my most recent build with you.
With only weeks before my son is due I finally finished his changing table/dresser.
I am still new to this whole woodworking adventure and this was my largest project yet. (Completed project was around $95)
This dresser had a ton of ‘firsts’ for me and along with that I probably made nearly every mistake you can.
My firsts on this thing were:
-pocket holes (i know…i know…)
-sliding dovetails (to attach the drawer fronts)
-hand-cut dovetails (rear corners of the drawers)
-drawers with glides
-table top fasteners
-distressing a paintjob
It was built knowing that she wanted it painted, hence the mismatched wood used(see pre-paint pics below). The nursery is designed around a rustic theme (see wall shelf unit here – http://lumberjocks.com/projects/85028 ).
I will also be adding a hanging wall clock made from weathered pallet wood in the coming weeks.
I think one of the most challenging things for this project might have been the use of Home Depot lumber.
We were on a major budget so I purchased the cheapest wood in the sizes I needed. This meant combing throught the stacks to find acceptable pieces.
I do not own a jointer or planer, so in order to flatten and correct thickness issues with the wood I resorted to good ‘ol hand planes.
Time consuming, yes. But also very satisfying.
I will attach pics that I took along the way:
Adding the slide out wings
Sliding dovetail on drawer front
Starting to look like a dresser…
Hand-cut dovetails (yes thats plywood on the back…i like a challenge). Not the perfect fit but acceptable for a first try.
Assembled (minus final sanding and details)
Adding final details
Painted, distressed, and in the nursery!