|Project by tinnman65||posted 06-16-2013 06:59 PM||1551 views||6 times favorited||20 comments|
Its that time of the year again when I do a project for the lily themed art show at the local pottery store. I have never built a blanket chest before so I thought I would give it a go. The bones of the case are made from butternut and the exterior panels are plywood veneered with eucalyptus. I used cherry veneer for the inside panels except for the lid. I had other batch of eucalyptus and thought I would use it on the inside but I didn’t have enough to do the whole inside so I just did the lid. The bottom is cedar wall lining I bought at Lowes. I added a few butterflies and a White-fronted Bee-eater. The colors on the bird are a little strange but they are actually pretty true to the photo I made it from. The Marquetry is done with the piece by piece double bevel method and let me say all those leaves were a test of my patience :) I can still use some practice on sand shading but like anything the more you do it the better you get. Thanks for looking.
-- Paul--- Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. — Scott Adams