|Project by jeffyap||posted 06-12-2013 02:12 AM||865 views||5 times favorited||4 comments|
Tippe Tops are ones that will flip up on their post when spun. Really good for stumping science and physics people, because the way the weight is distributed, it will balance post up when not spinning but post down when spinning.
1) Sphere of maple. (Either turn, or buy doll heads from craft store.)
2) Forstner drill just over halfway through from one side.
3) Sink small hole at center of forstner.
4) Glue or just hammer in a dowel (these are rosewood)
5) Do NOT smooth top edges of post. Actually need them rough for this to work.
Short explanation on how they work: when spinning, the post rubs on the ground, causes friction, and due to torque and procession, the most stable position is post down.