|Project by robscastle||posted 06-10-2013 04:51 AM||833 views||1 time favorited||7 comments|
This is a project the design of was inspired by DACs posted Chest of Drawers.
The use of turned leg posts was an eye catcher for me.
I needed to build an Infants cot for my Grandchildren to sleep in when they came to stay so I set to work.
The Legs I had hidden away the result of a misguided vegetable shopping task when I returned with a armful of legs instead of any vegies!
I routed them out on the shaper and apart from cutting them to length and inverting them that was all I did.
The frame came from a stash of recycled pallets I had, so upon inspection I deemed they would do the job if I plugged all the nail holes. The inserts in the sides and ends are Yellow Stringybark, the backing panels are ply, the legs are pine. the nail hole plugs are Meranti
Step 1. Drill out all the nail holes and plug them, I could have used pine off cuts but used some Meranti as a contrasting material.
Step 2 All went through the thicknesser.
Step 3 All pieces were cut to length this included spacers for the stiles.
Step 4. Biscuit jointed them all together using “0” biscuits and glued them up.
Step 5 Selected some Australian Gum Inserts cut them to size and routed out a rebate for them and a round over for the front.
Step 6. Set to work and drum sanded all four pieces.
Step 7. Trued everything and ensured all were equal sizes.
Step 8. Did a dry fit up, all was good, so glued everything together and fitted a base.
Step 9. Filled all the gaps and sanded to finish.
Step 10. Applied a coat of sealer and let it dry.
Well almost, after checking the requirements for baby/infants cots they have to allow ventilation to the sides and base so in went 8×22mm holes, 2 x on each end and 4 x in the base itself to prevent the possibility of CO2 build up.
-- Regards Robert