|Project by Von||posted 06-09-2013 02:17 AM||1265 views||0 times favorited||10 comments|
A few months back, I had to repair the bathroom floor due a long un-attended leaky toilet. The toilet itself was the leak, but it was not replaced for several years ….until the day before we moved into our house. Of course, leaks like that make a lot of hard work. Over the years I kept telling myself I had to get to that floor and “do the job right” one of these days. Well, turned out that day finally came when the floor gave way under the komode. EEEK! I tore up 4 old “floors” to finally get to the original one, and that had to get tore out as well. I even had to cut out a bit of rotten floor joists to get things squared away. To get all those floors out I had to remove the itty bitty toilet and the bathroom sink. Thankfully I did not have to pull the cast iron tub however. When I was removing the sink vanity, I thought “gee… even IKEA can make these better.” And wouldn’t ya know it, the thing crumbled to bits in my hands at that very moment. My next thought was that I had pretty much all the materials in the wood shop to build something a bit more…. well…...”more.”
The bathroom remodel should be done by the end of the weekend. New tile, new Kohler komode. (already installed that a few months ago when the repairs were done.) I have a few floor tiles left to lay down, and a bit of grout work. This sink cabinet get’s installed tomorrow evening if all goes well.
Made of 5/4 pine (Norway, Jack, & White) and Red Cedar trim. Finish is umteen coats of clear gloss water-based polycrylic, with a smidge of light sanding bewtween each coat. Followed by several shots of clear glossy Krylon from a bombcan. All sorts of shiney!
I shot the pics before final install because my bathroom is super stupid tiny, and the old sink that is going to get put in this thing, is uuuuuuuuugly.