|Project by CharlieM1958||posted 06-08-2013 at 02:48 PM||968 views||0 times favorited||19 comments|
I’ve been playing around with the idea of working on guitars. This old Stella Harmony child’s guitar was laying around in a closet, so I decided to experiment with it.
I was surprised by the beauty of the wood used for the back…. the top was not nearly as figured. I have no idea what either species is. I used a red oak stain to add some color. I was originally going to finish the whole guitar in natural, but when I started sanding the neck, I realized it was poplar, and would have not looked good in anything but black.
I used rattle-can lacquer for both the black and the clearcoat. This was really my first time using lacquer, and I learned quite a bit. I was originally planning to go for a super-high glass, but when I started sanding and rubbing out I realized I probably had not built up enough coats. It would have been easy enough to keep adding more coats, but I saw enough to know I was on the right track, and there was really no point in wasting a lot more time adding lipstick to this little piglet. Plus, I sort of liked the gloss level as it was.
I forgot to take before photos, but the last photo is one I found on the internet that is pretty much a dead ringer for what I started with.
This was a fun project, and I definitely see more guitar work in my future.
-- Charlie M. "Woodworking - patience = firewood"