|Project by Henri Monnier||posted 06-08-2013 05:48 PM||17232 views||18 times favorited||11 comments|
After many times of adjusting my router from underneath, I finally decided to build a good router lift for my table. The commercial ones available are/were just too rich for my budget, especially since none of my current routers would fit, adding another expense to the cost. No way to get that past SWMBO!
I read thru many articles/plans available, and finally decided on the one published by American Woodworker. It has 0.75” steel slide rods with bronze bushings, and has a very sturdy under table support system. It has a very convenient lift adjustment that a speedwrench will fit nicely. A 1/4 turn will move the router 1/64”, making for easy adjustments (but also making it a lot of ‘spins’ end to end, more on that later).
Figuring that the drillings for the bushings and other support items had to be as accurate as possible, I cut the major support blocks on the CNC machine all at the same time. A shot of the finished ‘cutting’ is below.
After separating the individual blocks, I trimmed the edges where the ‘webs’ attached the block to the waste material. A bit of sanding on the blocks, then the blocks were glued and clamped and left overnight to dry.
Next I ran the blocks thru the planer (as a group) to lightly trim up the sides, did some more sanding, then three coats of sanding sealer. They look good at least…. In retrospect, I probab;y should not have done the run thru the planer, as that could have introduced an alignment issue that came up during the assembly later.
Now came the time to fit all the pieces together, and attach the back to see how smoothly it all fits and functions. After assembling the parts, initially I was unable to get a easy smooth travel over the entire travel area. I found that going back and readjusting the torque on the bushing hold-down screws alleviated the problem. I found that with the screws just touching the bushing worked the best. Some of that issue may have been introduced with the ‘planer run’ done earlier.
The smooth travel and the easy adjustment of this build is really great, there is little to no backlash in the adjustment screw, thanks to the double ‘T’ nuts attached to the bottom of sliding portion. Mt initial thought of the adjustment resolution of this build would be great, and now thinking about 1/8” for every turn——it’s a lot of turns top to bottom. With that in mind I did not trim off the end of the adjustment screw, I’m now thinking of adding a drive motor for those course adjustments (suggestions welcomed). More on that later…..
Now I have to cut the attachment plates for my router, which might be be interesting. I will add the pictures of the plates and the fully completed unit.
As for cost, with all the parts that I did purchase, I have less than $60 invested. I did have most of the nuts/bolts/screws required in the shop. For anyone that may be interested, I will pass along the part numbers and supplier, the .dfx files and toolpaths to anyone that is interested, just PM me. I pulled the plans down from the internet, at http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/projects/archive/2009/04/21/the-aw-shop-made-router-lift.aspx.
Thanks for looking…...Henri
-- |~ Henrii~|- - We'll be friends till we're old and senile... Then we'll be new friends!!